Searching for a day program for adults with autism? You’ve come to the right place! L.I.F.E. stands for Learning, Independence, Friendship, and Education. It is a fee-for-service daily group designed to support adult individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). No referral is needed.
L.I.F.E. ADULT AUTISM DAY PROGRAM
How we do it
The staff team is trained in Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA) and other instructional and support strategies specific to individuals with ASD. They use these skills to guide participants through our daily activity schedules. One staff member supports three participants and programs are tailored to meet individual and group needs. Everyone has fun and learns new skills!
Is the L.I.F.E. program right for your adult child?
The L.I.F.E. program is right for you, if you:
- have ASD with low to moderate support needs;
- are 18+ years old;
- want to socialize and learn with others;
- can engage in safe behaviour in a group and community setting;
- are able to toilet independently; and
- is able to move independently.
Skills and Activities at L.I.F.E.
The L.I.F.E. program provides learning opportunities and community – based experiences that promote skill development in individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Some of the skill areas that are addressed in the program are listed below along with some of the activities included in the program:
- handling cash
- bill/coin recognition
- giving and making change
- giving appropriate dollar value
- recognizing hour/minute hands
- reading clocks both analog and digital
- time word problems
- knowing personal information
- street safety
- hygiene skills
- understanding community helpers
Reading/Writing and Comprehension Skills
- answering questions in line with individual skill level
- zones of regulation (fostering self-regulation and emotional control);
- reciprocal conversations
- listening to and following directions
- problem solving skills
- building rapports
Community Access and Recreational Opportunities
- community events
- community based volunteer opportunities
- music class
- use of sensory friendly materials
- designated daily sensory time
- sensory integration and support as needed
What does the L.I.F.E. program cost?
Annual tuition rates will be determined based on support needs and the number of days attended.
Most supports are offered with one staff member for every three participants. PassportOne funding may be used towards program tuition fees. Before/after care is available for an additional fee.
Want to learn more?
Read the story in our blog about how the L.I.F.E. program came to be!