What is YODA (Youth Overcoming Depression and Anxiety)?
YODA is a skill based group that provides youth with tools and strategies to manage their anxiety and depression. The group runs for one morning, 3 hours per week, for 10 weeks and will service a maximum of 8 students in each group. Although the program does not include an academic component, it will focus on the social and emotional well being of students, which in turn enhances school performance.The goal of the program is to support youth who are exhibiting symptoms of Depression and/or Anxiety.
These programs will be offered throughout the communities of North Halton, Oakville and Burlington. The plan is to run one program in each area concurrently. Parents are responsible for transportation.
- Fall session: October to December
- Spring Session: March to May
- Summer Session: July to August (condensed to two session per week for 5 weeks)
- Youth in grades 6, 7, and 8
- Exhibiting symptoms of Depression and/or Anxiety
Symptoms may include:
- Low Self esteem
- Flat affect
- Sadness and apprehension
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Feelings of guilt
- Withdrawal from others
- School or situational avoidance
- Fear of being humiliated or embarassed
- Loss of interest and pleasure in usual activities
- Excessive worry / fears about future or past events
Additional Available Components of Program:
- Parent information session
- Collaboration with home schools to facilitate successful re-integration and/or application of new skills acquired in program.
- Liaise with Community Supports
How to Make a Referral
Referrals can be made by School Board Staff, Parents, and Community Agencies.
For More Information or To Make a Referral Please Contact
Ashlee Baldwin at 905.689.4727 Ext. 143 firstname.lastname@example.org (Burlington & Oakville)
Steve Kovar at 905.689.4727 Ext. 127 email@example.com (Burlington & Oakville)
OR Vanessa Marko at Ext. 121 firstname.lastname@example.org (North Halton)